Thursday, October 14, 2010

I Still Love Fall

To say "Thank you" to all of you who have shared a sweet word of encouragement after Momma's passing wouldn't nearly be enough. I wish I could give every one of you a hug. Please know that I took every word to heart and they all lifted my spirits.

Things are slowly...very slowly getting back to normal. I have yet to clean up the guest room which was Momma's room while she was here. There are some things I really need to do in there, and yet I just don't want to face it. I still have to work through some things...but I'm getting there.

I was just talking to one of my mother's best friends and she mentioned that fall seemed to be the time of year when most of her loved ones have passed away. She said that she just didn't like fall very much for that reason. While the same could be said of my family, losing loved ones hasn't made me change my mind about fall. It's still my favorite season. Yes, I'll always have the memories of losing my precious family members, but that can't take away from the beauty around me.

Just this morning I looked out the window to see my Crape Myrtle turning its fall shade of orange red against the brilliant blue October sky. The temperatures are finally normal, which for us is a perfect 72 degrees as a high today. The breeze is blowing through the window, and my wind chimes are playing a happy melody just outside. Wind chimes that Momma gave me for Christmas a couple of years ago. Sweet song.

These pictures are from last year, but the scenario is the same...


And I can't wait for this beautiful tree to turn golden. It's on one of the streets on the way to the library. It is SO gorgeous.

Yes, while fall brings back bittersweet memories and will bring back even more next year, it still makes my heart smile.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweet friend, you have been on my mind many times. If I could, I would be there in an instant to give you a hand cleaning out the room.

Glad to hear that things are finding their way back to normal for you. Hoping Kiddo is doing well too. Been thinking of him too, I know this was hard.

Love you my dear. One day, I will give you a super great hug. Promise.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

I am so sorry I missed that post, Heather! I am so sorry to hear of her passing and my thoughts and prayers are with you and yours. Of course, you have some things to work through and don't feel rushed to be clearing up her room.

Megandvd@Beauty in the Attempt said...

You are in my thoughts daily...just know my strength is and always will be -- yours.

e

Windy said...

I've been thinking about you and praying for you.
Just close the door to that room and the day will come when you can go in and do whatever needs to be done!

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

I just had a moment to drop by to catch up with you and see that I've missed so much! I'm so sorry about your Mother's passing!

Hugs,

Manuela

Tee said...

Heather, I've been thinking about you lately. I'm so sorry about your Mom. I agree with Windy - enjoy the beautiful Fall and God will give you the strength you need, when you need it, to settle her things.

Hugs,
Tee

Richella Parham said...

"Bittersweet" is the perfect word to describe so much of life. To get rid of the bitter, we'd also have to get rid of the sweet. . . and that's something we don't want to do.

God bless you as you heal. It'll take awhile, but you will heal. Embrace the beauty around you as a balm to your heart.

Love you!

Amy said...

I can't wait to meet you at Relevant 10. Praying for you right now. See you in a few short days.

Julie Johnson said...

Just found you after you sent congrats to me on a giveaway....thank you.
Peace to you as you enter a new season of life too. I lost my second mom 3 years ago after she passed away from cancer. It's such a horrible disease...and so hard to watch your loved ones suffer through. Take care of yourself and give yourself the time you need to grieve. Take help. Hug your family. Embrace the little things each day that keep you going.
Hugs to you,
julie

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Heather, thanks for stopping by.

I'm so, so sorry about you losing your mother. I know that has to be such a hard road. Bless you, friend & I wish you healing and peace.