Friday, October 31, 2008

A Spooky Little Something

Since we generally don't celebrate Halloween except for letting Kiddo get dressed up to go to a few houses to get his yearly supply of sugar, I haven't posted ANYTHING about it on my blog. I have enjoyed looking at everyone else's decorations, though, and thought that if I did decorate for Halloween, I'd be sure to copy all these fabuloso decorators.

I did want to post something normally saved for Halloween, but with a twist. So, here's my contribution to the Spooky holiday...

Can you guess what it is yet?

How 'bout now?

Yep, it's a spider web, and this handsome (?) fellow was the one building it. A few weeks ago, before it got really chilly at night, there were two of these guys building webs just outside our back door. My Sweet Husband was the braver one of the two of us since I can't be within three feet of a spider without having apoplexy. I think I may have braved it outside for a minute or two before my fear got the best of me. But take a look at these pictures...


When our rambunctious 4 month old puppy galloped out the back door, he dislocated one of the web's anchors, making the rest of the web fly around haphazardly. The spider didn't panic, he just zipped back down (you can see the reflection of the flash in the tiny sliver of web close to the top) and anchored it back, then zipped back up to repair the damage. Problem solved.


This is probably my favorite picture. Aside from the fact that this web was HUGE (the spider in the middle is about the size of a quarter, maybe just a hair bigger), I thought this was one of the most beautiful creations I've ever seen. Look at the colors brought out by the flash of the camera. It's like a rainbow in a spider's web. Did you know spider silk has prisms on it? I didn't.

This looks like he's floating in mid-air, but I think this was one of the shots of him fixing his web. It's a really cool picture though, don't you think? As cool as spider pictures go.

What I want to convey to you is this...not a creepy, crawly, scary Halloween message...I wanted to show you that even in the things that we think are scary, ugly creatures, our Creator made beauty. Did you see the intricate design on that spider in the first picture of him? Or how about the beauty of the web? What if we lived life like that spider did, knowing that when disaster is knocking down our security, we don't panic but trust that our Creator gave us what we need to get through it?

So have fun tonight. Eat lots of candy. Take pictures of your Kiddos. But remember that God is in control, no matter how spooky life becomes.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy Halloween!!!:{}

I love the photo of the flash colored spider web, magnificent!

Have fun and enjoy the sweets.

Suzy

Darlene said...

I LOVE your post and that web is absolutely stunning!!! I never knew all those colors were in their web either....I always am just trying to keep them knocked down!

Hope your son has a fun Halloween night!

Shannon said...

Wow! Happy Halloween!

{oc cottage} said...

You are so right...but I still can't stand spiders!


M ^..^

tpillstrom said...

one night I sat outside watching a spider build his web for about 30 minutes! I had the heeby geebies for about three days after that! It was cool to watch for as long as I could stand it!

Unknown said...

Isnt it neat to just take a good look at what God has created. A spider can make some very neat webs....I can see the "art" in it! Take care~

Screaming Meme said...

Oh my! Im scared! I hate real spiders! That is amazing though!!! :)

Bernie said...

Oh my those are some amazing photos of the spider web. I love it. Thanks for sharing and directing me to this page.

Warmly,

Bernie