Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Things I love: October Sky

Have you ever noticed how blue the sky is in the month of October? I wait patiently for the fall skies to soften to the beautiful blue I love so much. Here are some pictures taken at sunset around my crepe myrtle. Oh, and by the way, I looked up the correct spelling of crepe myrtle and it turns out that you can spell it however you want according to this. I know...random.

I love how this shot is peeking through my crepe myrtle bush. All shadowy on the inside, glowy on the outside. Whatever. See how the blue is just so...blue? It gets even blue-er. Er.I love the form of crepe myrtles after their gorgeous blooms have fallen off and litter the ground like shredded pieces of the paper they're named for. The seed heads are just as interesting to look at, and their leaves turn beautifully autumnal hues. The sky in the background seems to be just a bit blue-er. I totally know I'm making these words up.
I think this is my favorite shot. See the tee-niney spider web between the top seedhead and the one to it's left? I wonder how tee-niney the spider was that made that web. Oh, we have lots of webs around our house. You just wait 'til Halloween and I'll SHOW you a spider web. Anyway, back to my subject. This is also my favorite because the sun is casting such a beautiful glow on the upper branches of the myrtle. And look how blue the sky is!

Okay, so I totally messed up my shot of the myrtle in this picture, but the color of the sky was too periwinkle-y gorgeous not to post. It's just beautiful!

Not only do I love October for it's beautiful skies, I also love the fact that our windows have been open EVERY day for the past week. Probably the cause of my allergy-fed sinus infection that just cost me $40, but I love it anyway.

What do you like about October (besides Halloween!)?


14 comments:

Trixi said...

We too love those windows open in Oct. Although, they are calling for temps. in the 30's next week, so I may be closing them at night. I love your crepe myrtles. I hope to have some next year.
Let's see what do I love about Oct. My oldest will be celebrating her 17th. birthday on Sat. So even though I hate that she is getting older I sure am thankful for the October of her birth.
Thanks for sharing your beautiful pictures.

Darlene said...

Oh, those are BEAUTIFUL pictures and the sky is sooooo blue!!!!

I absolutely LOVE having my windows open during the Fall. I open them every chance I get.

"Intentionally Katie" said...

I love that the temperatures dip below 100 degrees around here! :)

The Lunch Lady said...

I love the changing of the leaves here in PA! Soup, soccer, bundling up in a t shirt AND scarf...

Nice pics!

www.thetopiarylady.blogspot.com

Shannon said...

Beautiful pictures! Ok, I always thought it was called craTe myrtle. :) Shows how much I know!

Kimba said...

Those are beautiful pictures!

I love October too. The cool nights for sleeping with the windows open. Getting out my sweaters and boots. The fall festivals with apple cider. I could go on and on.

Great post, my friend!
Kimba

Mc Allen said...

Oh I just love this time of year, the cooler weather, leaves changing, and 3 out of the 4 of my girls were born in Oct!!! (pro and con, $$$!!!) What wonderful pic of that sky, thanks for sharing!!! Leah 5girls1boy.blogspot.com

Kat said...

Look at you gettin' all photogenic on me. You little photo-grapher, you.

Empty Nest Full Life said...

We had a beautiful sky like that here yesterday, and today has been very gray. Your post about the valley reminded me of this. One day thing can be clear and blue, the next very gray. I know what you are saying I too heard some sad news yesterday, and my heart is greiving for the family. I subbed today, and my heart grieves for some of the children and a friend having a hard week. I feel the tears coming, but thankfully we can know that get sees every tear and longs to be our comfort. Jackie

Betty said...

I love October because the first rains come and it´s not that hot yet her in P.
Thanks for visiting my blog today! I enjoyed you comment and hope you come again!

♥B said...

Beautiful pictures! I love Fall and Winter!!

Tracey said...

Uggh, I am nursing an allergy-fed headache and miserable,but I love October too! I never tire of the beautiful leaves changes color and falling to the ground.

Unknown said...

those are such great pictures! what i love most about october is the change in weather. not too hot, not too cold. i love the crisp, cool air, and pulling out all my winter clothes. its like getting a new wardrobe!

Unknown said...

Hi - I wandered over here from BATW, and saw this post, and just had to share my post about Octobers Bright Blue Weather
http://hottublizzy.blogspot.com/2008/10/october.html