Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Things I love: Music

Man, a week since I posted last! I hope you don't think I fell off the face of the earth. I've just been thinking a lot about this post. It's really too much to put into just one post. Hmmm, I might split it up. Well, here's the first part:

In thinking about things, people, animals, etc. that I love naturally brought me to music. I love music. I love songs, I love instrumentals, I love movie scores, I love Broadway tunes, I love classical pieces...I love music. I laughed a few weeks ago when I read some of my journal entries I wrote when I was in Australia. In one of them I mentioned that I was just then realizing how much I loved music. How a song could just move me like nothing else could. I had no idea how much music would become part of my life. If I had known then that I would be in a studio working on a CD project, I would have died from shock.

Now, let me say here that I don't love ALL music. Rap...um, not so much. And I can only take head-banging so long (like, half of one song) before the screaming just gets to me. And there are certain genres of music I like more than others. While I don't mind a pop song here and there, and Country Music makes me smile more often than not, you can probably guess by my whole blog that I love Christian music. Love it. Breathe it. Sing it in my sleep. No kidding.

I mean, I was a Christian music addict by the tender age of 13. Yeah, that would be in 1983. Not a very hip time in the realm of Christian music. However, that was the year that one of my all-time favorite artists, Michael W. Smith came out with this HUGE hit:



This is the oldest clip I could find of it. I'm thinking he did this particular one in the early 90's. Knowing that helps me forgive that jacket/overshirt thing. Appearance aside, this is how the song is meant to be heard. Simply piano. How many of us had this song played at our graduations or baccalaureates? I know I did. Of course, back then, the song was still "new." But the thing is, IT'S STILL BEING SUNG! I wonder if MWS ever gets sick of singing this song. I think I would. I mean, I don't even sing professionally and I get sick of singing some of the same songs over and over ("Sing to the King," anyone?).

But I digress (I wonder how many times I've said that since this blog's inception?). The thing is, I was listening to Christian music when Christian music wasn't that cool. Now, the music I listened to was cooler than this:


I...just...don't...know...what...to...say... I wish someone had told the tall dude in the back that white-man dancing on television is just not pretty, no matter how groovy your beard is. Then again, the other dude in the back isn't moving AT ALL, so maybe beard dude was making up for that. No, wait, the guitar player is doing his part, too. ZAP!

Whoa. I totally got off subject. That point of that video was to say that back in its infancy, Christian music was sort of um...blah. It has come so far since "Friends" (and I don't mean the T.V. show). Here are a couple more of my past and current favorites...

When I started college, Steven Curtis Chapman became a favorite, and still is. He just gets better with age. Having followed him for so many years and watched his family grow, it absolutely broke my heart when Maria, his youngest daughter, was in a fatal accident at home. My heart still hurts for this family.

As far as groups go, my old stand-by is Hillsong Australia, and my new favorite is Gateway Worship. Kari Jobe is simply amazing. She has recorded a solo CD independent of Gateway. If you haven't heard her, please take a moment to go to her site.

I think I'll stop here and pick up later. It IS turning into a looooong post! I hope you will bear with me while I continue talking about a great passion of mine. Thanks for "listening."


16 comments:

Lisa said...

I am a worship leading, God loving, alto singing homeschool mom also!! Music is my gift and passion.

I love the iWorship DVD's and I utilize them in our praise and worship. Steven Curtis Chapman has always been a favorite and I too was heartbroken over the loss of their daughter. Don Moen is another favorite.

Glad to meet a fellow music loving girl!

Lisa Q

Kat said...

Hey chicky. I hate to say it because they were singing about Jesus, but that second video was almost, um, scary...I only watched a few seconds (shudder).

If you go to Youtube you can see Steven Curtis Chapman and his family on Larry King. Amazing, absolutely amazing...except for Larry King who kept getting their daughter's name wrong.

Unknown said...

Awwww, that song always brings a tear to my eye. They played it at my highschool graduation and I had them play it at my wedding too. Yep, it still gets me. That second song... girl , I had to laugh! Where on earth did they find that one, smile. Do you sing at church? I wish God had blessed me with a good voice. I do sing unto the Lord... just not where anyone else can hear...smiles!

"Intentionally Katie" said...

Okay seriously...where on EARTH did you find that horrible second song? What were those poor people thinking?

Kimba said...

Oh my goodness...the memories that the MWS song brings back. The crazy part is that I wasn't a christian when that song came out. But my best friend was and she introduced me to the song around graduation time. I so clearly remember listening to that song with her and crying together as we thought about how much we would miss each other.

Maybe a little foreshadowing of the work that the Lord was already starting in my heart.

And that second clip! Gah! That's downright scary. And hilarious!

Ribbonwood Cottage said...

Good morning, I had to laugh...Christian music has made quite a transformation in the last several years. I am privileged to have my grown kids now sing on the worship team with me at church. I understand how you feel...how exciting though for you with this recording and the cd. I am new to your blog...and enjoyed all that you said. We absolutely love Hillsong and Kari, she sang recently at my son's college and he called me ecstatic about it! I will be back to visit!
Blessings,
Debbie

Trixi said...

You have been missed this week. I'm glad to see you back.
I too love music, all kinds!! Our church is primarily hymns but we listen to a lot of different stuff around the home.

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

yep - I sang it at my graduation....
Memories, like the corners of my mind!

CarlynB said...

My favorite part of the second video is when he compares Jesus with a Mounty. (Evidently a Mounty with a tazer - ZAP!)

Love you,

Sister

Shannon said...

Oh, MWS has such a pretty voice... I've always liked listening to it.

Thanks so much for visiting yesterday via BATW!

Michelle said...

I never tire of listening to Michael W. Smith. Even his old stuff.

Thanks for stopping by on your layover. Come back and visit anytime!

This Mom said...

That Micheal Smith song was the first christian song I CAN REMEMBER.

I think I was that video.

thanks for stopping by on the layover yesterday,

The Berry's Patch said...

Hi Heathahlee. Your right, Christian music has come a long way. I think it's great that it's attracting even younger generations nowadays. I'm a big believer in positive music. I can't stand some of the lyrics in music lately. They say just about anything you DON'T want your kids to hear.

Anyhow, it's nice to meet you. Hope you stop by again.

Brandee :-)

The Beauty Bargainista said...

so glad to see you back!! And I L-O-V-E hillsong!! Their pastors come visit us quite often at our church, and they are amazing! Their music is right up there too. I have all of their CD's in my car at all times! hehe

maryanne420 said...

hi heathahlee,

this is one thing we have in common--love for Christian music. i can't gt enough of it.

i also wanted to tell you thank you for your taco soup recipe. i loved it! my whole family loves it.

Heather - Sanctified Woman said...

oh yes :)... Micheal W Smith...
The second video - well - a bit scary isn't it :)...

BTW - I think I have every Hillsong CD produced from 1990-2005. I love Darlene!

Good to find you!