Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Recipes I love: Taco Soup

We left our windows open last night for the first time since spring, and waking up this morning to the chilly room was heavenly. Well, it was for me, anyway. I got to stay snuggled under the covers while my Sweet Husband had to get up and get ready for work. Hey, he had coffee waiting on him, so don't feel too sorry for him. Except for the fact that I didn't make the coffee; he had set it last night.

Fall is now officially here. I, for one, am so glad, because all of you wonderful decorating chick bloggers have made me dream of fall for the past month and a half! Now that it's here, I'll be pulling out all my soup recipes. Comforting Chicken Noodle Soup, Shrimp Chowder, Canadian Cheese Soup (my favorite), Chili, and several others that I have in my recipe binder that we haven't tried yet.

One of my favorites is Taco Soup. My bestest bud, Kat, called last night to compare my recipe with one she had found online. They were very similar, with the exception that mine doesn't have a ranch dressing packet in it. Mine is the only one I've ever found without ranch dressing. Oh, and hers had hominy in it. I have to ask you, who in the world eats hominy? Neither Kat nor I do, but if you do, please tell me because I'd like to meet you. I don't necessarily have anything against hominy (blech), but I don't seek it out and buy it like I do regular corn. I love me some corn. Corn on the cob, cut off the cob, corn pudding, popcorn, fried corn, creamed corn, cornbread...I'm starting to sound like Bubba in Forest Gump. But I digress.

So, in celebration of the official start of fall here in Mississippi (meaning the temperature last night got down to the mid 50's and today's temp won't get above 75, woo hoo!), we have had Taco Soup for the past two nights. Oh, yeah, I love me some leftovers. I guess you'd like me to shut up and give you the recipe, huh? Okey doke.

Taco Soup
1 to 2 lbs. ground beef (or deer, or turkey, whatever)
1/2 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 large can tomato juice (not sure the oz. on this...probably something like 64, but it may be more)
2 cans corn, drained
1 can Rotel, undrained
1 can stewed tomatoes (I used diced tomatoes), undrained
2 cans red beans, drained and rinsed
2 pkg. taco seasoning mix

Brown beef with onion and garlic until no longer pink. Drain off grease. Add all other ingredients and simmer 30 minutes or longer.

How easy-peasy is that? Takes no time at all to prep, and if you put it in the crock pot three or so hours before dinner, you don't even have to stir it to keep it from sticking. We love it with tortilla chips, shredded cheddar, and a little dollop of sour cream. Yummmmmm.

Oh, and it makes a ton. The three of us have eaten more than plenty for two nights and there is still enough for Kiddo and me to have it for lunch. However, I think that after two nights of it, he's probably done with it for a while. I, on the other hand, will be sad when this soup bowl is empty.

22 comments:

Darlene said...

You are so funny and truly delightful!! Yep, it was pretty chilly here last night too and is only supposed to hit around 80...YAY!!!

That taco soup recipe does sound easy-peasy and delicious!! I'll be trying it!

taratoons said...

Oh my goodness! That taco soup looks terrific! I'll have to give it a try! Thanks for visiting Nebraska today!!

Jess said...

Granny eats hominy... I tasted it at a restaurant with her one time... tasted like soap to me. Pretty disgusting...

Trixi said...

Taco soup is one of our all time favorites, too.

maryanne420 said...

that taco soup looks amazing! thank you so much for posting the recipe. i'm going to make it this weekend.

Darlene said...

I came back to say...I am with you I absolutely HATE Walmart but it is definitely the cheapest store in my town. And, OMG the price just kills me each time I go!

Unknown said...

YUM! that looks delicious! i MUST try that!

Unknown said...

MMMM yum! I just made that night before last. I have to leave the corn out or take some out before I put it in.... She hates corn. Weird I know. Thats my favorite part.Im so glad the weather is getting cooler cause I want to cook more now. I even had a pumpkin pie the other night. Guess I better start walking more, smile~

Shell said...

Hi Heathalee. BTW, I love your name. Glad you enjoyed the tour of my city. I hope you do come back; I'm glad you got to enjoy Les Miserables. Thanks so much for stopping by.

THE Stephanie said...

Sounds yummy! I wish Fall would arrive (ever) here in Texas... I just don't think it's possible. We seem to have 2 seasons - hot and hotter. lol

Kat said...

Who really DOES like hominy? Anywho, this is on my menu for Sunday evening. I hope it's as yummy as your picture looks :)

Blogger said...

That looks soooo yummy! And it's cold here today, would be a great day for soup!

Bella :)

cherry said...

I love taco soup. My recipe does not have ranch packets either. I got mine from a neighbor down the street. We like to crumble tortilla chips on top of ours...yummmy. I thin that is so cute that your dh did some decorating. Priceless. cherry

MaricrisG said...

Yummy! I was just leaving a comment to someone telling her how much I love mexican dish and here I found one. Can I snag this recipe? :)

Maricris

EmmaP said...

I LOVE taco soup too! And now is the perfect time to start bringing out soups!!!

Thanks for your visit from BATW, and good luck with your interview with your own little one.

The Beauty Bargainista said...

This sounds really good! I made chicken tortilla soup yesterday, so I think I am going to try this one next week! :)

Sarah Mae said...

Darn it! why did you have to go and make something that looks so stinkin' yummy, but I know that in my preggo state anything like that will make my stomach turn! Grrr...

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Taco soup is our FAV!! Well, I was going to send one to Sarah Mae (that I am still putting together from my give away)but based on her comment, I better re-think...hee hee

Darcy @ m3b said...

Okay, I think even I could handle this soup! I'm going to try it sans corn.

And thanks for stopping by!

Ruth said...

Oh wow! Never heard of taco soup, but I love tacos, so I'm sure I'd love this soup! I know my kids would love it too!

Ruth xx

eetomost said...

that looks good!!



leigh-nc

pink and green mama MaryLea said...

yes, we love this one in our house too! I make mine with ground turkey. going to have to add the dollop of sour cream! yummy! Glad I found your blog!