Wednesday, August 3, 2011

My Heart Test Recap

So many of you have asked about the tests I’ve had lately on my heart, so I thought this was the best way to fill everyone in...

For those of you who don’t know, I went to the doctor a few weeks ago to get checked out. I was feeling yucky and had been having some chest pains. I finally had enough and decided it was time to go. The doctor ran some tests and determined I was anemic and my thyroid was still out of whack. He still wanted me to go to the cardiologist to have him look more closely at my heart to make sure there wasn’t anything else going on.

I went to the cardiologist Monday a week ago. I had no idea I wouldn’t leave there before I had done the treadmill stress test (which was definitely STRESSFUL! My heart rate went up to 170 and I almost passed out!), had an echocardiogram, and walked out with a monitor hooked to me for 24 hours.

The echo test results were normal (praise Jesus!), and I haven’t heard back from the monitor test, but my treadmill test resulsts were “abnormal.” Of course, I’ve always known I’m abnormal! *snicker*

So, the doctor wanted me to have a CTA of the coronary, which is a CAT scan of my ateries, to see if I have a blockage anywhere.

The biggest problem I had with it...I would have to go have the test done at the cancer clinic where Momma was treated. The heart clinic and the cancer clinic are owned by the same group…I looked at the woman as she was telling me this and just said, “I DON’T WANT TO GO THERE.” But I knew I’d have to put on my big girl shoes (as my precious friend Dawn says) and just do it.

Tomorrow I’ll let you know how that went…I decided I wanted it to be therapeutic instead of dreading it.

We got there at 6:40 in the morning. I had had to take a pill to get my heart rate under 70 bpm. When they took my blood pressure and lab stuff, it was still 81. When I got back to the radiology department, they gave me more medicine through my i.v. and it still didn’t go down. I waited an hour and it still didn’t get down consistently below 70.

The doctor had told me if we couldn’t get it below 70 we would have to cancel the test. Well, THAT didn’t help my heart rate! But I knew if the Lord wanted me to have the test done, I’d have the test done. If not, then I wouldn’t. I tried to keep thinking about that instead of how upset I’d be if I didn’t get it done.

After a while, he finally decided to try it, hoping that once I lay down it would go down further. So, we went ahead and tried. After waiting a few minutes, they went ahead with the test…and it went fine! I don’t know the results yet, but will keep you posted.

I know so many people were praying for me…for the test, for having to go back to the cancer clinic…saying thank you just doesn’t sound like enough…but that’s all I can say. If you’ve prayed for me…thank you.

And keep praying! Until I know I’m out of the woods, keep praying! : )


Richella said...

Okay, babe, what is UP? I started to email you back from your last comment on my blog, but got a "noreplycommentblogger" message. And now I'm not sure what your email address is--I think you changed it recently, but I can't find the email with your new address. And I want to know what's going on with your heart--you know how I am about hearts!

I repeat, what is UP? Or what is down? Or something!

You're great. And you're young. But wearing a Holter monitor is a pain for young or old, I know. As is a stress test. I do hope everything's A-OK!

Dawn said...

what a journey. still praying. (and i think i said shoes... didn't i say shoes?) :) love you!

Barbara said...

So glad you've got through all that stuff. I am praying for you!

Aurie{OurGoodLife} said...

Thanks for the recap. So glad that they were able to do the test after all of that-and continually praying for good results!!