Monday, August 18, 2008

Mini Mistreatment

Since I was just too ding dang busy to get in on the fun of the Mistreatment party the Nester was throwing, I felt a little downhearted. I mean, yeah, I was having fun singing and wearing my voice completely out and wearing cute clothes and all, but I wanted to get the button!

So, in honor of all you mistreaters out there, as well as for my own decorating entertainment, I did a little mini-mistreatment. All because I won a tassel. Yep, Susie Harris's Rooster showed up at my doorstep a few days ago. But since I have been soooo busy, I haven't had time to find a place for him, much less post about him.

Let me just say that if you order a tassel from Susie, not only do you get your beautiful tassel, but she throws in a few beautiful little happies as well. When my husband came in the house with the box from the mailbox I did a happy dance. I went through everything (including the GREAT bag that was included in the giveaway...it's huge and perfect for when I have to take my homeschooling stuff with me) before I allowed myself to unwrap Mr. Rooster. My husband kept saying, "That's really pretty!" I wanted to find a place for him immediately but because my kitchen still hails from 1992, he just didn't go with the decor. I'm trying to convince my husband that it's the next thing to redo, all in Tobacco Road. He's getting there.

Anyway, in order for me to find a perfect home for Mr. Rooster, I knew I was going to have to invent something new. I looked around the house until I came upon this little blue shelf.

One of my problems in my home is that I don't update stuff nearly enough, as evidenced by this little country blue shelf with a few little country things on it. There are a few morsels on there I can use, but for the most part it just screams early to mid 90's, no? Not to mention the dust on my wall. Ugh. Don't look at that. I bet you just did, didn't you?

Anyway, I knew that in order to give Mr. Rooster a proper home I would need to do some updating on this little shelf. I like the "bones" of the shelf, just not the color or the little heart in the middle. Being the Kimba-ite that I am, I went to Wal-mart and bought a can of black spray paint, knowing that anything looks better with black spray paint on it. I also wanted to cover up that heart, so since I had to go back out toward Hobby Lobby yesterday I just hopped in and bought just a little bit of black toile.

After I spray painted the whole shelf black I took the pegs out and hot glued the toile to the front of the inside of the shelf, then folded it under and hot glued it to the back of the shelf. I then cut holes where the pegs should go and put the pegs back in. If I had it to do over again, I would mark where the holes would go and then cut them out a little bit better before gluing the fabric onto the shelf. It pulled the fabric a little when I put each peg back in. You can't really tell, and as you know, it doesn't have to be perfect to be beautiful!

Here's the result: I love it! It can stay where it is now and look like it halfway goes there. And when we paint the living room Tobacco Road it will still look great there. As for what I put back on top of it, I edited what I originally had on there. How many times can I say "there" in one paragraph?
All of these were my Mimmie's, except for the little basket hanging, and that's no longer there anyway. I just love those tiny little bottles and the camera and thimble. Every time I see them it makes me think of my beautiful Mimmie.

Here's how it looks with the tassel hanging from it. I had those measuring spoons hanging in the kitchen and needed something else to hang here, so I tied the checked ribbon around them and hung them by Mr. Rooster. I think it's so pretty! It makes me happy every time I walk by it!

So even though I didn't get to par-tay with the rest of you mistreaters, I did my little part. Now to come up with a use for the rest of that black toile!

19 comments:

Kimba said...

I love it! You really did a fantastic job! And you're right. Anything looks better with a little black spray paint.

I'm so proud of you!!!!

And! And! And! I got my housewarming gift in the mail today!!!! I probably would have gotten it a couple of days ago but we don't have a mailbox yet so I have to go to the post office every few days.

I love it! Seriously. It's hanging on my dining room china cabinet right now. It was my first housewarming gift and I am truly touched. Your note was so sweet.

Thank you!

Marie said...

Your shelf is so darned cute! What a great idea you had to use that toile. Perfect hanging place for that rooster I'm still not bitter over not winning. ha ha ha!

Anonymous said...

That's brilliant. I would never have thought of something so creative.

Kitty Scraps said...

I can't tell you how clever I think this is... REALLY. Just when I thought I've seen it all in the way of redoing and updating things you go and make a country blue shelf totally look amazing. GREAT JOB!

Still have a bit of envy in me that you won Susie's Giveway! *smiles*

Dawn said...

Thanks for stopping by! Your blog is wonderful! I'll be back!

Megan @ Megity's Handmade said...

Seeing all the things getting painted black and lookin' so good is making me jealous. I want to make something over too! Looks great and congrats on winning the rooster!

Unknown said...

Hi Heathahlee
I love your shelf makeover! Looks so much better in black!
diane

Nancy Rosalina said...

Hi Heathalee...Love the self make over...and the tassel. Nancy

Anonymous said...

OK, never would I have thought to put fabric on a shelf. Girl, I'm IMPRESSED. I love the way it turned out. I love that you have your grandmother's pretties up there. I love that you have dust on your walls and you posted a pic anyway. Heathahlee, you're so cool.

Really, loving the rooster and what you did to make him a home.

-- Brandi

My Three Girls (The A girls) said...

very nice, well done. Kimba's right a little spray paint does wonders.

Empty Nest Full Life said...

Fantastic idea for that shelf. I would have never thought of that, but it looks great especially with that adorable rooster tassel and the measuring spoons. Great job! Jackie

Kat said...

Move over Kimba. Move over Nester. Heathahlee is on the scene! I love it! I want it! I need it!

I just can't place where that lovely little blue shelf was in your house?

I received my tassel that I ordered from Susie last Wed., and I LOOOOOOOVE it. It's on the lamp by the little painted birdie you gave me. And like you and your rooster and shelf, it makes me happy every time I go by it. I'd love to blog about it, but you know...I almsot hate you found a place for that Rooster tassel. I was secretly hoping (just a little) since it didn't match your decor that I just might end up with it :)

Really. I do loooooove that shelf. You're just a little nestie nester, you are.

CarlynB said...

The shelf is really cute! I know I'm the odd woman out around here because I'm not crazy about black painted stuff, but I do like what you did to the shelf.

And I'm glad I'm not the only one who actually has been to your house and can't remember ever noticing the little shelf when it was blue. Of course I recognize the wee bitty items of Mimmie's, but that's from way, way, back.

I'm hoping to get my little bird when I come tomorrow. Are we going to O'Charly's? ;)

Love you,

Sister

cherry said...

Cute! Perfect place for that perfect tassel. Thanks for the comments on my blog. cherrry

Darlene said...

Hi Heathahlee,

Your little shelf make-over is perfect!! It is too cute. I just painted two HUGE shelves with those same little hearts for my daughters room re-do....check out my blog to see what I did with the hearts.....lol

And aren't Susie's tassels FABULOUS?!? He looks perfect hanging there from the "new" look shelf and for the spoons, the ribbon gives them that perfect touch!

Amy said...

Thanks for visiting my blog! I love what you did with your little shelf. So cute, and I love black :D

Bonita said...

Okay, I'm so headed to Goodwill to buy those country heart shelves I've seen there recently! You are a genious, girl!

P.S. Don't forget that Nester sells tassels too in addition to teaching us all how to mistreat everything we get our hands on. LOL!

Amanda said...

That shelf looks great. I have a longer shelf that may need that treatment. You did a great job for that fantastic rooster.

Anonymous said...

What a great idea!!! I have a few of those shelves with hearts on them.. one hanging in my kitchen~ I think I see a new project in my future~!! Love that Rooster Tassel.
Love your blog!!