Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Say it ain't so!

Sigh...one of the things about ending school at the very beginning of May is the ugly reality right after 4th of July that school is a month away.


Yesterday A Beka was in our area and a friend and I went to get what we needed for the coming year. And while I love getting a head start on buying his books, mooching borrowing from my friends, making sure we're ready...I just don't want to be a grown up just yet. I want to sleep late, not have a schedule, do as I please...oh, wait...I homeschool! I can still do all those things!

Just kidding. I try (that is the operative word) to stay on a schedule during the school year. But I digress. There is still so much of summer left to do, like go to Kat's for a swim, Kiddo's camp, spending time at Grandmother's, visiting his cousin. What have we done all summer? I feel like it's flown by, and I don't have anything to show for it.

Except for some really cute birds. Oh, yeah, that's what I've been doing. And reading Jane Austen. And watching Jane Austen movies for free from the library.

Chicks, chick lit, and chick flicks. Okay, it hasn't been all wasted...

Not to throw a damper on anyone's summer, but all you homeschool peeps out there, when do you plan on starting back?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Heather,
Enjoy your summer!!!
We start school back this Monday. So think of me when you're sleeping late and going swimming... I will likely be drowning in Jr. High science labs and/or sounding absolutely silly trying to pronounce new Spanish words for my kiddos.

Anonymous said...

The public schools go back on THURSDAY, August 7th. I think we're going to begin on MONDAY, August 11th.

Anonymous said...

Curious, what made you decide to homeschool? I have so many friends that do and it seems every blog I read homeschools. Is God trying to send me a message that I am not ready to receive??

My daughter will be in 2nd grade and starts school Aug 7th!!! I am not happy about that. It's Alabama, it's still hot. Doesn't seem fair to the kids.

-- Brandi

Sarah Mae said...

Hey, I want to go for a swim at Kat's! Darn it, why do I have to live so far up North?!

I am planning on loosly homeschooling my three year old at the end of September. I have a really neat book for little ones and I'm very excited!

Kat said...

Egads!!!! Lisa is starting Monday!! Whew! I need a fan or something.

As per our conversation yesterday(that sounds like something that you'd wirte in a formal letter), I'm starting at an undetermined time in August.

Jess said...

Hey! Not a homeschoolin mom... but I've been trying to email you this week and it keeps coming back. Would you email me? :)

Anonymous said...

You are on the ball girlfirend! Im still thinking about summer camps... Susie H~

Kimba said...

Wow. Can't believe it's time to get ready! I've got one more year before we need to start making some schooling decisions. I may have to pick your brain because we're just not sure what we want to do.

I have my older son enrolled in a cyber charter school for a pre-k program. It's a public school program but it's done at home online.

Debbie said...

Wow back to school already?? We have only been out for three weeks...and I don't homeschool so I don't have anything to add to this conversation other than I dropped by to say "Hi."

Trixi said...

Well, I had these great intentions of doing Math all summer with the kids so that we don't spend the first 6 wks reviewing. However, we moved and started redoing the house and blah, blah, blah, I haven't done any Math. I hope to get it out this week. We will formally start back the Tues. after Labor Day. That just seems to be my routine. I would love to be one of these great year round homeschool moms but it's just not happening. We all like a break around here.