Friday, February 14, 2014

My Husband's Cancer...

I have tried several times to write this post over the past year, and every time (including this one) I have been at a complete loss for what to say.  I've started to forget things that I've seen God do, and I don't want to do that. A precious friend told me I needed to be journaling everything that's happened, and my first thought was, "Yeah, okay, I can get a notebook and blah, blah, blah." Then it hit me that I've had an ongoing journal since 2008. I can't believe I've been blogging for almost six years. Six years! What a ride my life has been since that first post.
Kiddo, me, and Sound Man at the Mighty Mississippi, summer 2013
If you have read my blog for any length of time, or if you know me personally, you know my mother passed away from breast cancer in 2010. That year was the hardest year of my life. It started with health issues for me, then a car wreck that totaled our van, then Shadow had to be put down, Momma's health steadily declined, and she passed away on October 5th. When New Year's Eve came that year we ALL were saying, "Goodbye, 2010! Don't let the door hit you in the rear on your way out!"

I didn't think a year could railroad me like that ever again. Until last year.

Our insurance gives us a discount for getting physicals every year, and even pays for the physical. We can't say no to that! It was through those physicals that I first found out that my thyroid was out of whack in 2010. I had a couple of nodules that eventually disappeared after getting on Synthroid, the thyroid replacement hormone.

So when Sound Man came home from his physical last year in January and said that the doctor that had done the ultrasound on his thyroid (they ultrasound your internal organs, corotid artery, thyroid, etc) had found a mass on his thyroid that needed to be checked out, I didn't think a THING about it. Like, not. a. thing. I didn't even pray about it going away, because I just knew it was a nodule like mine had been, and those had been a non-issue. Little did I know this is where we started seeing the hand of God  working.

His original endocrinologist appointment had been scheduled for April...4 months away. In late January or early February, he got a call from the endocrinologist's office saying they had had a cancellation and wondered if he would like to come in much earlier than his original appointment, February 19th. Yet another God moment. Again, I was not worried one bit, and for me, that's saying something. I'm a natural born worrywart.

During the time between the call and his appointment, he caught the flu. Got over it (or so we thought), then had a horrible relapse two weeks later which landed him in the ER for eight hours. Turns out he had swine flu. It's a miracle Kiddo and I didn't catch it. At this point we thought it couldn't get worse.

The day of his appointment, I expected him to call me after his he was done and let me know what the doctor said. When it got to be about 2 hours after his appointment time, I started getting a little concerned, but chalked it up to the office being busy (she's my endocrinologist, too, and I know how crazy the office can be).

He finally called me with words I NEVER expected to hear.

More on Monday.


Barbara said...

Hi Heather,
Well, this IS a cliffhanger!! I can't imagine how tough all of this has been for you and your family. Thank you for sharing your experiences with your blogging family. I greatly look forward to reading how the Lord has brought you through it all.

Happy Valentine's Day!

CarlynB said...

So glad you are writing on your blog again. Maybe you'll inspire me to get back to it as well.

My friend Dena, from church, always asks, "Elizabeth, how is your brother-in-law?" She has prayed for him faithfully.
You know my Greek friends all call me Elizabeth. :)

Dawn said...

xoxo so glad you are writing this story down... and i am hoping as you do you'll be blessed all over again by His Mighty Hand!