Friday, May 16, 2008

A Memory Stirs

My favorite musical of all time is Les Miserables. When I was in college I had it memorized, seeing as how I listened to my sound track I got one year for Christmas until my walkman batteries died. At one point Javert, the mean guy, is remembering Jean Valjean, the hero, and sings "...a memory stirs..." in one part of his soliloquy. So that's where I got the title. I told you people I can't write.

The point is, a couple of weeks after I started this blog I remembered something funny. And ironic. When my mother and sister and I would go on road trips (mostly to see my uncle and his family) Momma would have the '70's version of the cell phone in the station wagon...the CB radio. Does anybody know what "CB" stands for? I don't either, but that's beside the point. If you have any experience with CBs, you know you have to have a "handle." It gave you an identity without telling the entire world who you really were...like a sign on name.

This is where it gets ironic. Momma's handle was Madame Butterfly. Carlyn and I were so original that we came up with Caterpillar 1 (Carlyn) and Caterpillar 2 (me). Pretty ironic, huh? Gooby, but ironic.

And I pinky swear that I didn't remember this until after my blog was up and going. I also pinky swear that I didn't find this picture until a few days ago, so it wasn't inspiration, either.


My sister is so gonna kill me...

4 comments:

CarlynB said...

You WOULD post that picture. Mom looks beautiful, as always. You are a little cutie-pie. But ME, caught in the throes of early puberty, aaagghh. I look like Donna Reed in that movie about the Magic Cottage. Have you seen that one? When you see it you will know what I mean.

I cannot help it if I am not photogenic. You should pity me, not post pictures that prove it to the world.

BTW - CB stands for "Citizens Band."

I love you, anyway.

Caterpillar 1 signing off.

Heathahlee said...

See, I told you it wasn't that bad. And yes you are too photogenic. Just not in 7th grade. Sister, nobody's photogenic in 7th grade.

Momma told me it was "Citizen's Band" when I read this to her today. How did you know that?

Caterpillar 2

Kimba said...

Yet one more thing that we have in common. I would have been singing right along with you. Les Mis has always been my favorite musical. The really funny part is that my second favorite is M. Butterfly.

A good friend of mine had a CB when I was growing up - well, her dad did. I thought it was the coolest thing in the world and wanted my own handle. I think now I would be "The Spray Painter".

The picture of your family is great. Gotta love Olan Mills!

Yeah for buying craft supplies at Wally World! Just tell me you're not planning to use the craft paint, sponges and pillow form for the same project.

Anonymous said...

Awwww, I love the old picture! You ALL are photogenic! :-)
Heather, you were just the cutest little girl!!

Lisa