Thursday, July 21, 2011

My New Craft Room! Part One

I have been taking forever to tell you about my "new" craft room. It's new to y'all, but it's been finished since the first weekend in April. And it was a surprise.

Let me give you a little bit of background for this room. It was our guest room for as long as we've been in the house...15 years. Here's a memory that I will treasure from this room:

This is Kiddo reading to our brand new puppy Jonathan in 2008. He was in this room because he and Sound Man were still working on his loft bed. He was afraid Jonathan would get lonely without his brother and also wanted to make sure he got to know his voice. You can see in J's crate he's curled up asleep...I think Kiddo had a perfect idea.

Now who's curled up asleep? : )

We've had several guests in this room, but the one person who spent the most time here was Momma. This was her room no matter when she came up here. When I was on bed rest for three months (pregnant with Kiddo), she would come and stay for days at a time to wash clothes and clean the house. Then, after she got sick the first time, she stayed with me so I could take her for her radiation treatments. And as her days came to a close, she was here with me. As I remember the good memories, the bad ones come as well. This was the room Momma left earth to meet Jesus face to face.

It was time for a change.

So, Sound Man and I started talking about moving out all the junk that somehow had accumulated over the few months since Momma's death. But we never really acted on it. It was a little overwhelming for me to think about.

After I saw a post by Tonya at Love of Family & Home, I fell in love with a blue color she had used as an accent color in her kitchen. I commented about how much I loved it and she sent me a paint chip in the mail since it was from a smaller home-improvement store and wasn't sure I'd be able to find the right color. When I got it I couldn't wait to get working on some stuff (which still hasn't happened...at least not finished products), but retreat was looming and all my thoughts were focused on that.

My husband had casually asked me what color I wanted to paint the guest room, and I said I would love to see it painted that gorgeous blue. I wasn't sure what he was up to, but I made sure he knew where the paint chip was before I left for the weekend.

When I got home on Sunday, my men stopped me in the hallway and made me close my eyes, then took me by the hand...

And I'll show you what they showed me tomorrow! ; )

But first, here's some "before" and "during" pictures that Sound Man took with his phone since I had the camera at retreat! : )


When we moved in 15 years ago, I LOVED this wallpaper. Not so much now. See that rectangle on the wall? We live in a high tech house, let me tell you! intercom system/radio throughout the house! Oh yeah, baby! Trust me, this was the height of home technology in the 60's! And the system still works! We love blasting KLove throughout the house!Since the wallpaper was still in great condition and didn't have any noticeable seams in it, he just painted right on top of it. We had already talked about this and I for sure wasn't going to peel all that wallpaper off!Kiddo working on the room. He was so precious when I came home, but I'll tell you about that tomorrow.I love my bay window!
Sound man built a grid with the same stuff I had my tassels hanging from originally.
A view from the door. That window lets in so much light! That chair was my Mimmie's and Linkis still in there because I don't know where to put it. It's holding more stuff that I don't know where to put. Heh.

Tomorrow I'll share my new room with you.

See the rest of the story...
My Craft Room, Part 2!
My Craft Room, Part 3!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it!!! I am so glad you have a room to call your own. May this room hug you always with the sweetest of memories :)

CarlynB said...

Sister,
I need to come to your house. #1. I need to see your craft room. #2. I need to get my MEAT!

Love you,

Sister

Tonya @ Love of Family And Home said...

Its looking great!! I'll be back tomorrow to see the rest!!

Unknown said...

Ooh!! Can't wait to see the reveal :)

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

What a great bay window, Heather! That is going to be a great craft room. I can't wait to see what it looks like!

Tracey said...

So, so, so, so, so, so smart painting over the wallpaper. Oh the dread of removing wallpaper.

And I always wanted one of those intercoms systems--still do!