Thursday, October 13, 2011

31 Days of Worship - What Keeps You From True Worship?

"What's keeping you from engaging in worship, either privately or corporately?" (from yesterday's post)

I ended my post with a cryptic answer to that question.

"I may have an answer. And you're not going to like it...I sure didn't."

MWAAHAHAHAHAAAAA....

Okay, I'll stop being silly.

Over the course of nearly two weeks, I've written more consistently than I ever have before. But in doing so, writing about the same subject of worship every. single. day. has made it glaringly obvious to me that I know so very little. So. very. little.

What also became glaringly obvious was that as I was writing about expressing our love and adoration to God, I had things in my life that needed to be confessed and exposed. I felt the Lord's conviction so heavy on my heart it seemed nothing in my world was right until I got things settled.

There were three actions I needed to take...I've only completed one, but it was the hardest one. The outcome could have been devastating to me, and in my mind I had worked up so much anxiety that I was convinced I was going to be asked to step down from my leadership position at church.

Of course the Lord is so gracious and so was the person I spoke with. He really wondered why in the world I would think he would react in any other way. I told him it was my overactive imagination getting away from me. I do that a lot.

I still need to call one more person (again, not something I want to do but I know I have to in order to be in God's will) as well as get our cable guy out here (long story), but just being obedient in that one area has allowed me to write and worship again in freedom. It was like it broke a dam in my heart. I now have the confidence (if still not tinged with timidity) to face the other person.

So...I ask you again...What's keeping you from engaging in worship, either privately or corporately? Is there something in your life that needs "getting out"? Are you hiding a private sin? One that you think no one knows about, not even your spouse?

Well, let me tell you, it's not worth it. Being cut off from a two-way relationship with God is so much better than hiding behind whatever it is you're keeping secret. Don't you want freedom from whatever has you bound? The power of sin is in the secret. I know this from personal experience.

I was struggling with a particular sin and felt like I'd never defeat it. It was not something I had even talked with my husband about. Conviction settled into my heart and I knew I had to confess it to him. It was so hard, but as soon as I did, the weight of the world lifted off my shoulders and I didn't have to hide anymore. And you know what? I haven't struggled with that sin since. Not that a hundred others weren't hanging around waiting to take its place. Meh.

What I'm trying to tell you is that God's Word says in I John 1:9 "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness." When we do that, it opens a floodgate of praise...

Create in me a pure heart, O God,
and renew a steadfast spirit within me.
Do not cast me from your presence
or take your Holy Spirit from me.
Restore to me the joy of your salvation...

O Lord, open my lips,
and my mouth will declare your praise.

Psalm 51:10-12a, 15


Yesterday I begged you to engage in worship. Today I'm begging you to make your heart right with God so that you can engage in worship.

Is there something you need to get right with Him, or with someone in your life?

Do it today.

1 comment:

Richella Parham said...

You are surely right about this. Sin only loses its power when it's exposed to the light--it loves the cover of darkness. There are a couple of things I need to bring into the light. Thank you for the encouragement!